Sunday, March 14, 2010

I, Jacob


A friend was talking with me about being wounded by life's events and how we carry those wounds all of our lives. I think Jacob is a Biblical character who exemplifies carrying the wound into wisdom.

I Jacob
deceiver of my father
cheater of my brother
ultimately more clever than my uncle
and yet afraid
afraid of the consequences
of retribution for the places where ambition took me
I dreamed of a ladder to heaven
where angels
were ascending and descending
and I was afraid

In the darkness on the Canaanite plain
I wrestled with God
my strength held for a while
and after all I had done
I dared to ask for a blessing
God sighed as if God felt enough were enough
and God changed my name

But
I will always
walk with a

limp

2 comments:

  1. Yes, wounds to wisdom. It is not a fair trade, but a merciful one. Practicing the Examen during Lent this year has helped me to release much baggage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are blessed in the practice of Christianity to have many "tools" that help us walk that pathway to wisdom. Whether they include the Examen or dreams or the recitation of Compline every night, these tools as well as others that are not so traditional can deepen our relationship with the Holy and help us strip down to our essential self. Those of us who use these tools all recognize them for what they are, and recognize the God who gives them for our benefit. Thanks for sharing, Rosemary. I am grateful for your presence in Dream Group.

    ReplyDelete