Sunday, July 31, 2011

Just Who Are YOU?

Regular readers of my blog will quickly discern that I am on a John Philip Newell kick these days. I just bought four new books by this inspirational teacher on Celtic spirituality, and I am deeply immersed in attempting to understand his work and how it relates to other writers and theologians who have preserved this remarkable Christian tradition for us. One thread that has recently caught my attention is woven into the writing of Pelagius, the first great Celtic theologian—and a man condemned as heretic by the Roman church of the time. That thread is the idea of all of creation being a theophony or a manifestation of God. Celtic spirituality believed that creation came forth creatio ex Deo, and as such is a showing forth of the goodness of God. In fact, some Celtic theologians go so far as to believe it is possible to live a perfectly good and sinless life. Because we are part of the divine word, we have encoded in our spiritual DNA, if you will, a blueprint for holiness and righteousness that excludes the necessity of human depravity and original sin.

This past week, my husband and I celebrated twenty-eight years of marriage by driving to one of our favorite spots, checking into a local B & B, and spending most of the time outside. We’ve chosen to give up tent camping, but we still enjoy being in places that bear the imprint of wilderness on them. Pisgah Forest is a personal haven and holds wonderful childhood memories for me. Michael and I have often taken a Saturday and driven up Wagon Gap Road to Mount Pisgah, and we especially love the part of the drive from Brevard to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We’ve had the opportunity after many trips to discover some hidden spots including “our” own swimming hole, a favorite place to picnic, and several trails that lead to outstanding views both of the mountains and of the flora and fauna that inhabit these mountains. During this past trip, we drove into Pisgah Forest to eat sandwiches at a roadside table in the early evening. The stream was gurgling, and birds were calling to each other in preparation to end the day. I could not help but be struck by the smoky shafts of sunlight piercing the heavy forest canopy—heaven no longer separated from earth. That image has stuck in my memory as a visceral reminder that God is everywhere—inside, outside, and alongside me. In fact I, too, am a theophony because I am created in the spirit and image of God who said, “Let us create humankind in our image, according to our likeness” (Genesis 1:26).

The trip to celebrate our married life reinforced for me the sense of closeness and immanence between the natural and supernatural. God is present in the forests and gardens that we preserve and create. I am present to God in those places as well because I am created and re-created in such a setting. Celtic practitioners speak of thin places, and I do believe such places exist especially when one is out-of-doors in the beauty that was not unlike the first home of our first parents.

Being aware of God’s presence in nature and each other helps us to reach a place of healing and deep peace. May you experience that deep peace as you continue your journey to awareness of who you are in the God of All.

No comments:

Post a Comment