Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Insignificant Ones

During the Liturgy today, Fr. Tom, our visiting priest, focused on the story of Naaman, a man who suffered from leprosy—and pride. Naaman was sent to the king of Israel by the King of Aram to be healed of his leprosy, and because the King sent him on to Elisha at the prophet's request, Naaman also found healing for his pride. Naaman had to make an effort to receive the healing of both of his diseases, and he probably would not have received healing for either without the voice of an insignificant servant. This servant said to him, "Father, if the prophet had commanded you to do something difficult, would you not have done it? How much more, when all he said to you was, `Wash, and be clean'?"

Of course, I find it interesting that Naaman expected Elisha to come out and greet him—or wave his hand over him and heal him. That didn't happen. Instead, another insignificant and unnamed servant was sent to tell Naaman what to do. I have known people who all too often react that way. We humans want to be recognized for our accomplishments and for our abilities. We want to be addressed according to our status. Naaman was a man affected not only with a skin disease, but also with the disease of pride. He wanted Elisha to come out and greet him—to recognize him as an important person who deserved the services of the prophet of Israel. Instead, Elisha sent a message to him to go to the river and bathe seven times. Naaman was upset that the prophet would not come out to him and address him on a one-on-one basis. Elisha was asking Naaman to have faith. In this case, faith was counter to Naaman’s pride. He needed to listen to direction, to do as instructed, and receive the cleansing that came from washing in the Jordan River seven times.

How often in our lives do the seemingly insignificant ones have messages for us to which we need to listen? How often does a child, for example, say something that turns out to be profound, or another person provides us insight though we hold them with slight contempt because they seem a little lower on the social strata than we think we are? Do we have times when we want to be recognized for our intelligence, wit, or good works when we actually need to wash in the river and be clean, humble, and focused on the other and not ourselves. Listening to the insignificant ones, God’s anawim, can provide just that moment we need to see that we need to follow God faithfully, knowing that God provides for us in our need, and as the Psalmist asserts, will turn our mourning into dancing:

7
While I felt secure, I said,
"I shall never be disturbed. *
You, LORD, with your favor, made me as strong as the mountains."
8
Then you hid your face, *
and I was filled with fear.
9
I cried to you, O LORD; *
I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
10
"What profit is there in my blood, if I go down to the Pit? *
will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
11
Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me; *
O LORD, be my helper."
12
You have turned my wailing into dancing; *
you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment